I’ve added some new items to my shop today, as well as removed a few that I’ve decided to donate. The new items I added aren’t handmade though- they’re music books! I recently sold a few of my instruments so I don’t need all the books I had purchased for them. There’s books for violin, baritone ukulele, and guitar!
I’ve got a few other listings I need to update still today, so check back this evening and see what’s new!
That’s my mountain dulcimer taking up seat number 5… 🙂
I saw several DIY PVC guitar racks being talked about online, and the one thing I noticed, besides that they’re ugly, is they really minimize the space they take up. We have 5 ukes, and a banjolele, though one uke is of the flying V body style so it won’t work in this, and while I have nice, pretty wooden stands, they take up quite a bit of space. And today I really wanted to build something, so here’s what I did.
Approximate Finished Dimensions
18″ high x 28″ wide x 16.5″ deep
- 2 x 10′ 1/2″ PVC pipe ($4.16)
- 14 1/2″ PVC pipe T fittings ($4.76)
- 6 1/2″ PVC pipe caps ($1.38)
- 11 1/2″ PVC pipe 90° elbows ($4.40)
- pipe cutting tool ($7)
- glue (optional and I only used to to glue the main sections together in case I want to disassemble it in the futureand store it flat) ($6)
How to Prepare
You will need to do a lot of cutting. Here’s the breakdown of how many, how long. I only used 15′ of the pipe total.
- 5 x 1.75″
- 7 x 3″
- 10 x 4″
- 6 x 1″
- 2 x 11″
- 3 x 25.5″
How to Assemble
- Make the top bar with the neck guides by connecting these pieces in the following order:
- Elbow + 1″ piece + T + 3″ piece + + T + 3″ piece + + T + 3″ piece + + T + 3″ piece + + T + 3″ piece + + T + 1″ piece + elbow.
- Connect one 4″ piece into the open end of the T’s across (6 times). Then connect an elbow, and a 1.75″ piece to the first 5 of them. Add the 6 caps to all of the open ends. This completes your top bar.
- On the downward facing open ends of the elbows, connect a 4″ piece of pipe. Attach a T to these so you can add the crossbar between them.
- Place a 25.5″ piece into the open ends of the T where they face each other.
- Connect a 11″ piece to the remaining open ends of the T’s, going downward. These will connect into the base.
- Create a rectangle, using 4 T’s, 2 4″ pieces, and the two remaining 25.5″ pieces. This will form the part of the base that the ukes will rest on.
- Choose a side to be the back of the stand. Attach a 1″ piece to each open T side, and add another T, this one facing upwards. Your top section will fit into this.
- Connect the remaining 3″ pieces to the backs of these T’s, then add 2 of the elbows, pointing down.
- Finish the front of the stand by connecting the last 2 1″ pieces, and then the elbows.
- Fit the top into the bottom. Make sure everything fits. Try it out. Tiny ukes, like a soprano, will barely reach the top bar, and if you have a sopranino, you’ll need to place the secondary bar lower. If everything looks good, you can glue things together now.
Let me know if this worked for you, or if I made any mistakes in the parts list! Happy making!
So back about 6 months ago, I was super excited to purchase and hopefully learn to play the ukulele. I bought one, loved it, but wasn’t so great about practicing. Then a few weeks back, I joined Ukulele Underground and I found this.
Plans to build your own ukulele stand, this one already sized perfectly for a tenor uke, which is what I have.
All I needed was a piece of wood for the base, a 1″ thick wooden dowel at least 22″ long, some felt, some screws, and some metal hooks sold at Walmart to act as the brackets.
I was super tight on money but really wanted to do this, so I improvised a bit. The wooden plaque I bought from Michael’s, with a 50% off coupon for $1.90. The felt I already had on hand, thanks to getting sent the wrong item when I ordered fabric ages ago. Wood stain and E6000 I had on hand. The dowel was the most expensive piece at about $4.50 for a 48″ length, and the screws were about a dollar for a package of 8. The hooks/brackets I made myself out of polymer clay, then cast them in resin which I dyed a deep red color with some mica powder.
Not counting the cost of materials I already had on hand, I spent about $8 building this.