Blog

Simplicity 3797 – Dress View A

I decided my next project was going to be the dress from Simplicity 3797. I opened up the bottom drawer of my fabric storage and pulled out the first thing I saw that there might be enough of. That first fabric pick was 3 yards of a deep red floral print cotton I bought about 6 years ago along with a similar blue print and a medium grey/charcoal grey print, the latter two of which I made some peasant type shirts out of that basically required cutting two gigantic vaguely shirt shaped pieces and added lots of elastic to give it the right shape via gathering. I checked the sizing and fabric needs for the dress on the envelope and confirmed I needed 2 3/4 yards. I hadn’t pre-washed this fabric yet, and needed to do laundry so I threw all of our black clothes (which is 90% of the laundry) in with the fabric. I left out the few lighter colors because I didn’t want everything to be pink.I sat down to start cutting out the pattern pieces while I waited.

Fabric washed and dried, I laid it out on the carpet (I don’t have room on my tables for fabric cutting) and starting arranging the pattern pieces.

1

On 44″ wide fabric this pattern was super easy to layout and make everything fit. I had no issues at all, and actually had about 12″ x 12″ left at the end plus smaller, stringier scraps.

2

I could actually make a few small zippered bags out of what’s left, or use them for practicing my piecing when I get read to make that quilt. Note to self- Buy more straight pins.

3

Tomorrow I need to cut out the interfacing pieces I need, and start stitching. I’m hoping to get this at least half done tomorrow before it either gets too hot or I just need a break. There is one pattern piece in this one that I have no idea what its for- I”ll have to read through all of the construction directions before I start and figure it out.

See you all tomorrow!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *