I started washing all my cotton fabrics in my bins today, which while the first load was half actual laundry, the next two were fabric only. After it was washed and dried, I measured each piece, refolding it, and then pinning a note onto it so I know how much is there at a glance later. Part of my problem with the fabric I do have is not knowing how much is actually there. If its all clearly labeled, I have no excuses for not being able to put a piece to good use, and I’ll hopefully be doing less buying of cuts I don’t really need. I got it done today but it was tough as its hot back there in my craft room and there was a lot of fabric to fold and measure. The plus side is some of the pieces were still sealed in plastic and clearly marked as to how much fabric was there, so I saved the labels and just pinned them back on the cuts afterwards. Of course they all need a good ironing, but I’ll worry about that as it comes up.
While I was folding and measuring all that fabric, I found a dress my grandmother had started making many years ago. Most of the dress is sewn together, but it doesn’t have any facings or a zipper. I wasn’t sure what to do with it right now so I just folded it up and placed in in the drawer next to the pink dress she cut but never sewed together. I still haven’t looked to see what is there or not there in that one- I was about to use the fabric for something ages ago, and when I pulled out the pin holding it into a roll, I realized it already was something.
Anyway, I’ve now got two drawers full of cotton prints, one full of cotton solids, one drawer full of knits, one drawer full of flannel, and one drawer with some specialty fabrics and several colors of satin.
I have also been poking around on eBay looking at large lots of vintage patterns. I found one lot that had quite a few I liked it in, but the largest sizes were two or three sizes below me at this point, especially considering older pattern sizing runs smaller then modern sizing does. I did make a bid, but walked away after making one last one about a minute before the auction closed. The final bid was $13.00 above my last bid. I’m kind of glad I missed out on it, though part of me wonders if I couldn’t have resold most of them later if they were in good condition.
After that I found a lot that had 41 recent patterns in it. There was a buy it now option on it, and the price wasn’t bad at all. It was actually a good mix of patterns, many of which are in my size and are something I’d like to make. Almost all of the patterns are new and uncut as well. This is the breakdown of the patterns in the lot. They’re all Butterick, McCall’s, and Simplicity patterns.
Will fit now (20 patterns)
- B4929, B5315, B5455, B5491, ^B5638, B5641, ^B5662,
- M6116, M6321, M6349, M6518, M5855, M5932, M6318,
- S2355, S2359, S2365, S2694, S2966, S4080
Will fit when I drop 1 to 2 sizes (4 patterns)
- M5006, M5400, M5525
One size patterns, mostly accessories (6 patterns)
- M6523, *M6090, *M6089, M6045, *M6047,
- *S2273, S2274
Stuff I’ll probably never use (due to either small size of being children’s patterns) (10 patterns)
- MP367, M5382, *M6326, *M6118,
- +B4790, B5555,
- S2941, S2561, S2692, S2364
The pattern numbers marked with:
- * Already cut
- ^ On my favorites list, I was already going to buy these
- + already own it
Even if I only use 15 of these patterns, I still paid under $4.00 each for them and I can always sell the really small ones. I’m probably never going to fit into a pattern size 12. That’s about a 34″ bust and a 26″ waist. Tiny!
After spending all day washing, drying, measuring, and folding fabric (imagine folding your laundry for 3 or 4 hours, it wasn’t the most fun way to spend an afternoon) I wasn’t sure I wanted to actually do any sewing. I was instantly burned out on the idea of even touching fabric, let alone laying it out, cutting it, and pinning it to sew. That didn’t last long though and by about 8pm I was back in my craft room looking at what cuts of fabric I had enough of to make Butterick 5011’s view A. While the gingham I planned to use was an okay choice, it wasn’t really what I wanted. I ended up finding this cut almost on the top of the first drawer I looked in.
This cheerful fabric is a cut my mom bought when I was a little girl, and I think I remember having a shirt or maybe some overalls in this print when I was about 4. The yellow is pretty bright but the red strawberries and blue stars actually tone it down a little so its manageable. I cut out all the pieces, one of which I had to go back to cut after I started sewing because I forgot it the first time, made the ties, stitched the back to the fronts, did the same to the facing pieces, and stitched the facing onto the outer part. I turned it but I didn’t understitch it yet. I’ll do that tomorrow. So far the only modification I’ve made to the pattern was the ties- instead of stitching down one side and then turning them, I folded the edges to the center, folded it in half, and stitched down the edge. Its so much easier then trying to turn a narrow tube (I know, there’s lots of tricks to do it easily but its something that frustrates me like crazy) and the ties sit flatter that way too.
I am so glad I picked up my Reader Digest sewing book a few weeks ago when I was out at my mom’s. That book is excellent for explaining what different terms mean and giving good detail as to how you actually do them. We had to buy the book as part of our class materials when I took a sewing class several years ago, and it has proven useful over and over.
Anyway, that’s all for tonight. Tomorrow I should have quite a bit more done and something to actually show you. Maybe I’ll even finish it.