After making yesterday’s post about my old ball gown, I repaired the waistband, and spent a ridiculously long time ripping out the stitches on the two panels that hung down the sides of the bodice. You’d think ripping about about 24″ of stitching would be fast and easy, but apparently the girl-who-can’t-follow-directions not only sewed the bodice together all wrong, but she also kept changing the stitch length on different seams making some of the stitches very tight and very difficult to pick out. That’s not so bad though, right? Just slow going? Oh wait! And then it gets better. On one side of the bodice, I used pleats to make the panel fit. On the other side, I used gathering. What the hell was I thinking? Oh wait. Not only was I not reading or following the directions, I was not thinking either. I’m kind of embarrassed to have done this, even if it was years ago. I remembered as I put the gown on my dress form that when I wore it to the ball, we had to use safety pins to hold the skirt up to the bodice in the back because there was a big gapRead the rest…

I had planned on getting this dress  (Vogue 1235) started weeks ago, but finally yesterday I sat down to cut the pattern. As I was cutting it, my fears and apprehension about doing a Vogue pattern pretty much melted away as I saw how few pieces there were, and how easy it looked. I ended up sewing the whole thing in the same afternoon, aside from a few small tweaks I made to it today. I did run into a few small issues, and I did make a few minor changes as I went. The way it wanted the pockets sewn in was confusing, and I stopped following the directions at that point. It just made more sense to put the pockets in the way I’ve always done it, and not try to sort out the instruction’s method. I opted to leave out the contrasting waistband- this piece sites over the dress, and isn’t integral to the dress. The fabric I chose for this part really did not work well and just looked bad.  I also left out the waistline elastic, and the zipper, as the dress pulls easily over my head without it. I shortened the straps by aboutRead the rest…

Way back in September of last year, I whipped up this circle skirt. Right away I loved it, and I wore it quite a bit. It was fun, flirty, and if I spun around really fast, it flared straight out and made me feel like a little girl. I adored it. But as time went on, I lost weight, about 25 pounds. And as I lost weight, the skirt got looser and looser. Eventually I could literally slip it off without unzipping it, which leads to the worry that it might casually fall off of my body at some randomly decided moment. This was a problem, as I loved this skirt and wanted to keep wearing it. Tonight I ripped out the waistband and added a few pleats to take up the slack. I actually ended up taking 6 inches out of the waist of it, and putting it back together. I feel like I did a somewhat sloppy job of it because I had previously used a French seam for the waistband attachment, but didn’t do that when I put it back on tonight, because each time I attach it with a French seam, I run the risk ofRead the rest…

McCall’s 5348 View A is a pattern I purchased the fleece for and had every intention of sewing- about 5 months ago. Then I stopped sewing. I stopped crafting. I stopped doing all sorts of things. Two days ago, I decided to work on some of the things I had started and not finished, and you’ve seen the two skirts I put together over the last two days. This bathrobe almost didn’t get completely today, but when I realized I was stopping with it so close to being completed, I went back into my craft room and finished it! The color is a very pretty royal purple- its not right in any of these photos. I’ve never been much for purple, but the color really caught my eye and I figured I’d give it a try. The only thing I’m not crazy about is the length- I should have lengthened it maybe 6 or 8″- I had enough fleece left over to do so, but it didn’t occur to me until after I had everything cut out and started sewing. Still, sitting here curled up in it on the couch after a soak in the tub, I love it. Soft,Read the rest…

If you haven’t read the previous post, go back here to catch up. There’s a nice close-up of the fabric in that post too. 8) I headed out to my craft room after doing the grocery shopping today and got to work on this hoping to finish it today. I followed the directions almost exactly, except where the upper part meets the lower, I used a French seam to hide the raw edges. Everything seemed to be going along nicely, until I tried it on. The back gaped something awful. There was at least 3 1/2 inches of extra fabric back there, even though I had been super careful in cutting everything and had taken my measurements just a days before. I didn’t want to completely deconstruct the top (those French seams take time to pick out) so instead I ripped out the seam connecting the top to the bottom in an area in the center back about 6 inches wide. I already knew how much needed to come out of the back, and had pinned up the excess and was still able to pull it on and off easily, so I went ahead and cut the excess off fromRead the rest…