I just added this little guy to my shop, and oh how I love him!
Raleigh the Racehorse stands about 3″ tall on his wooden base, and the plaque is 4″ wide. He’s made out of reddish brown polymer clay (Sculpey III and Premo!) to give him a rich bay coat. He’s relaxing on a bed of straw, with his lucky horseshoe and a big bucket of water nearby.
He would make a great display piece in a horse lover’s home, and he’s absolutely one of a kind! He is not for playing with- he could be broken- so not for young children.
Each individual piece has been bonded with E6000 clear glue and the wood is finished with a pecan stain.
Keep an eye out for other cute minis in the future!
The last week or so has been crazy busy here, not just with the website issues (I’m still working to restore images to the blog for the 2013 posts) but with creating all sorts of new items for the shop. A lot of the new arrivals are perfect for Halloween! Here’s just a few of them.
Good afternoon friends! I love Halloween. Its absolutely my favorite holiday of the year? Christmas? Who needs it? Give me fun costumes and spooky decorations any day! And since its almost October, why not get started with some spooky crafting? Bring on the Halloween skulls!
Wednesday night I started out with making some little polymer clay skull earrings. I didn’t worry about them being perfectly accurate but I did want them to be recognizable. They turned out to be so easy to make I decided to make a larger one today for display around the house.
The basic skull shape is a ball that’s been pressed a bit to make the lower end someone narrower then the top. Make a pair of eye socket indentions, and then use a few small strips of clay to add the cheekbone ridges. A little more clay is adding to the lower front to make the lower jaw project a bit, and then add some clay to the upper back of the skull to add fullness to the braincase. I also added indentions into the sides at the joint of the jaws.
Teeth were simply scratched deeply into the surface, working out from the horizontal line, so lines were etched away from the split between the jaws. This keeps the horizontal scoring from being filled in by tiny bit of clay being drug down into it when drawing the teeth.
Then things got fun! After he baked and cooled a bit, I got out my yellow and brown acrylic paint and mixed them together to get a medium yellow-brown. I applied it everywhere with a heavy hand, and then quickly wiped it off before it could dry. Then I used only dark brown and dabbed it over the areas I wanted to have more definition and wiped it off. This is the end result.
I had so much fun making these and I hope you’ll try them too! They really can’t be easier! I did have a little help for basic shaping from a small clear plastic puzzle skull, which helped me quite a bit with the details of the larger skull. Sorry this final photo isn’t as clear- I snapped it with my phone without great lighting and its a little grainy.
When I first bought my polymer clay, I watched a ton of videos, mostly on making miniature food. I was totally fascinated by it. There are people out there that make the most realistic looking polymer clay minis that it seems strange that you can’t actually eat them. SugarCharmShop on YouTube is one of them. Check out this amazing mini ham tutorial! Her work is impressive whether its this ham, or a plain old donut!
Anyway, the day before yesterday I started making miniatures- ice cream cone earrings. Each set was a little better than the last, and except for one pair going from mint chocolate chip to a beautiful gunmetal grey in the oven, they turned out fantastic. The pair that turned colors didn’t burn, it just got dark- the cone stayed the same tan color it went in as.
At right is my pair of blue bubblegum ice cream earrings, and below are my pistachio ones- they are both in shop as well for purchase. I tried a few different things with texturing the cones as well, but what I was doing first seemed to work the best.
I decided to give the light colored ice cream scoops eyes, and then after baking them, applied a coat of acrylic paint which I think wiped off of the outer surfaces. Using a color a few shades darker gets it worked into the low spots and gives more definition to the piece.
Today I finished up the last few pairs of ice cream cones, and I realized I have a wire stipling tool in my kit that I didn’t realize I had. Using the stipling tool made me able to make the ice cream cone drips look somewhat foamy and more natural.
After the ice cream cones, I decided I’d try making toast. The toast turned out so easy and I might actually do a tutorial on how to make them. Its pretty much forming a nice organic square shape, indenting the sides near the top, stipling the heck out of the open surfaces, and then brushing on some chalk pastels onto the top (more on the top because that part of the bread is always browner) and sides, and then to the open surfaces in a toaster-eque pattern.
I ended up making a second set, this time with butter with a little help from Tracy at Art Resurrected and they turned out super cute. Both are in my shop. Just click on Jewelry.
Anyway, I need to work on my knitting and stop playing with clay for a bit. That’s the plan anyway. We’ll see what actually happens!