August 11, 2013
This pattern McCall’s 5330 turned out pretty nicely when I made view A. I had a little trouble with buttonholes, as I always do, but it turned out well. But years ago I had tried to make view B of this skirt, with bad results.
I hadn’t been sewing long at that point, and I believe I also tried to grade the pattern up as well (I hope that’s what happened anyway) and it was just a mess. The last time I went out to my mom’s, I snagged this skirt, which also happened to be made in a rather dubious fabric possible only intended for quilting, and today I attempted to remake it into something wearable.
I wanted to stick with the original pattern, so first I ripped all the seams apart. This I actually did weeks ago while watching TV or something. This afternoon I laid the pieces out along with the pattern pieces, which were cut in my proper size now, and realized I had to cut a little bit of fabric of each piece. So far, so good, right?
I stitches everything back together, opting to leave out the horribly mangled waistband piece. I made a new waistband. I put in the zipper. I tried it on. The first thing I noticed was that it was at least 3 inches too big in the waist. Not good, but fixable. The second thing I noticed was if I had put on a trash bag, it would have fit better. The skirt was bubbled and puffed and bulgy in places I don’t have bulges. I know there was supposed to be some fullness to this skirt because of the big front pleats but this was terrible.
I ran two quick lines of stitches down the sides, bringing in the waist and hips a few inches on each side, and tried it on again. It fit now, but it was still just awful. No way I could ever wear it without wanting to hide from shame, between the bad fit and the bad fabric. I ripped out the zipper, put it back with my other zippers, and threw thee whole skirt into bag I keep for collecting scraps for my friend Donna’s quilting projects. While I was at it, I also threw some pink and white fabric I got from my grandma that had been cut into a dress. At once point I was going to construct the dress she started, but only half the pieces are there. The pieces are small enough too I can’t do much with them, so into the bag they went.
In short, I’m terribly disappointed because I wanted a new piece of clothing t hang in my close today. But really, I think even if the skirt had fit nicely, I would have tossed it anyway. The fabric I used for it was bad, and I’d never have worn it. I’m going to cut myself a new ½ circle skirt this evening out of a nice black fabric with bright orange poppies on it, and I’ll take photos tomorrow to share with you.