Yesterday I showed you the jacket from this costume and the nearly finished blouse underneath it. Today I am showing you the whole thing together. I am really please with how this costume turned out and I cannot wait to wear it for Halloween! I’m so excited!   I made a lot of changes to this pattern as I went. As I think I mentioned yesterday, the blouse was lengthened to be able to be a separate piece from the skirt, and I added a side zip to it as well as slitted the upper back and finishing the edges with bias tape and a snap so my head would fit through to put it on.   I let off most of the trim this pattern called for. The jacket is already really wild so I was going to let that be the eye catching piece of the outfit and not compete with that. I decided to tuck the front of the skirt up to give it more body and to show of those ruffles in the petticoat that I spent so much time working on. If you now me, you know I hate gathering and I hate doing ruffles,Read the rest…

Simplicity 9723 features a dress with two styles of skirt, and a jacket. At PatternReview.com, two people have reviewed this pattern and they have had mixed things to say. One, its extremely historically inaccurate. Two, there have been various issues with the pattern, which I was glad I read about before getting started. The bad comments were almost enough to make me search for another pattern to use for Halloween (yup this is the basis of my Halloween costume this year!) but in the end I decided to go with it and make corrections as needed. I spent a small fortune on fabrics for this project and so far I seem to have overbought across the board but the fabric allowances given on the envelope back are given for multiple pieces of the costume together-  there is no measurement given for just the jacket, its the jacket and skirt together. This left to me guessing at the amounts needed and at this point I have an extra yard+ of silver pleather as well as a good 1.5 yards left over of the black poly-cotton broadcloth. The jacket is done in a bright silver metallic pleather with a reptile texturing toRead the rest…

I was browsing Pinterest (I have such mixed feelings about it but occasionally I find my way back to it) and looking for free sewing patterns. I came across some really cute ideas, but so many are not suited to my body type, or would take a lot of scaling as the patterns were only available in very small sizes. Then I saw this. This jacket has the prettiest draping and the shape is interesting given the way the seams run. Its made out of a stretch knit fabric, and I definitely want to make one for myself before winter comes. The jacket is made from three pieces of fabric and the only pattern you really need is a few measurements form your tape measure. Here’s the link! Its from a few years ago but I absolutely love it.Read the rest…

I’ve added two more pattern to my stash over the holiday, one being this cute jumper pattern, and the other being this reversible coat. The jumper pattern I grabbed off of eBay after watching it for quite a while, and the coat pattern came from my mom for Christmas. I’m looking forward to sewing both of them, though I don’t really have any fabrics in mind for either one just yet. I also have received my packages with both the cranberry corduroy fabric and the floral Moda fabric, and they are gorgeous! Both will work perfectly for what I had planned for them, and I can’t wait to get started. Mattie’s mom got me a $25.00 gift card to Joann’s. I was able to get a new box of pins, as I have a bad habit of sewing over mine and they’re mostly bent all to hell and back, a thread spool rack, which i am going to mount on the wall to better organize my threads, and a 9″ round cake pan, because we have cupcake pans but not actual cake pans, and I don’t always want cupcakes or muffins! I had hoped to have the corduroy jumper finishedRead the rest…

I’ve sewn Simplicity 3797 twice now, once as pictured in a skull-themed print fleece, and once with a complete lining in a cherry themed fabric so it was actually a warm jacket. While I had to create a new pattern piece in order to sew the version with a full lining, it was still really simple and easy to do. The lining is red satin and the lapels are red and white striped costume satin.   I think it took me about 90 minutes to construct the one pictured at left from start to finish as its a very basic design and there’s nothing complicated about it. The lined one took about twice as long as there are twice as many pieces and seams to sew. Both of these were done in a size 22, and while the unlined one turned out perfect, the lined one has a few minor issues I need to address- namely I think I forgot to lockstitch one of the seams in the lining and its coming open near the shoulders on one side. I also would like to take it in a size or two if I am going to deconstruct it to repairRead the rest…