Today’s project was a new, bigger, more fun purse. Weeks ago I had decided to make myself a new purse. I wanted a bigger purse, and I also wanted to add some zipper pockets to the inside. I had modified my purse pattern I have made several of already for myself to be larger, and but hadn’t worked it out yet so wasn’t sure how it would turn out. I had estimated the fabric usage to be about 50% more than what it takes for my original design, but it actually ended up taking almost double that. I barely had enough fabric to cut everything from using the two one-yard cuts I had chosen for this design. My exterior fabric, pictured at left, was chosen after I had already picked my lining fabric- a cut of fabric that my friend Jami gave me two years ago. I had to hand draw some of my pattern pieces as our printer wouldn’t print half of the pieces, and gave me duplicates of others. The actual construction went really smoothly, except for the part where I forgot to put the interfacing in. I actually had to partially disassemble it afterwards to put itRead the rest…

As promised, I worked up a second pair of these plants today, in some in plain black flannel for Mattie. His pair went together really smoothly except for the past where I manage to stick a pocket on backwards and ended up with two right legs and had to rip out some seams. I didn’t notice until I was about to sew the crotch seam and things weren’t lining up quite right. Even with that problem, I still managed to knock them out in about 90 minutes from first cut to last stitch. He claimed they were going to swallow him, I can only assume his reaction to the very wide legs on these pants. Simplicity 4101 is actually a pattern for scrubs so they are very roomy and easy to wear. I made this pattern once years ago in a really fun, really splashy fabric that was not at all suited towards something that needed to take abuse. I wore them maybe twice, sat down, and the whole butt ripped out. That was when I learned that there are fabrics referred to as bottom weights and what that actually means. My friend Alix was recently given a sewing machineRead the rest…

I set out today to clean my craft room. To says it a mess is an understatement. My craft room is divided into two sides- one side for beading and jewelry making and the other side for sewing. I have two 6 foot folding tables, one on each side of the room. When its clean, its easy to find anything, and there’s plenty of room to work. But when its messy? Forget it. Finding things is a nightmare, and getting stuff done is almost impossible.   This was my craft room after I put most of my fabrics away, and stowed the ones that are for sale into a container pushed under the beading table. You can see it there on the right. Under the table is a huge mess of larger fabric scraps, interfacing pieces, and who knows what else.   This was after I tackled the pile of scraps, throwing quite a few away and stowing the rest. I had to empty my little trashcan twice. I put away pattern pieces from the project I finished yesterday (whoops!) and picked up as many tiny bits of fuzz off of the carpet. I found tons of safety pins layingRead the rest…

Today is my birthday, (Yay! Happy birthday!) and while I don’t have any new sewing to share with you, I do have some adorable fabrics! Saturday evening, Mattie surprised me with dinner with friends, and there was some gifting. My friend Tracy gave me some lovely beads, and Jami gave me these cute fabrics! The skulls and paw prints are fleece, the polka dots are flannel, and the puppies are cotton. She had doggie coats in mind for these, but the more I look at the puppies one, the more I want to make a new purse for myself. Its just plain cute, and I’ve been carrying around my pink purse for a couple years now I think, and I’ve been thinking of changing it up again. And of course, if I use a matching fabric inside, maybe a chocolate brown broadcloth, I could still make doggie coats with the other 1/2 yard. LOL So many things to think about! I’m going to sit on it for a few days I think and then decide.Read the rest…

I did both of these views of McCall’s 5248 last week, starting with the shorts, then moving on to the nightgown, and back to the shorts again. I don’t really have photos of the shorts (I look ridiculous in shorts and my dress dummy doesn’t have a lower body option so to speak), but here’s the nightgown. It turned out cute, but I don’t wear these, so it went up in my Etsy shop. Its a size Large/X-Large, and the fabric is flannel. Very soft and warm for winter. The print on the lower half is skulls made out of flowers. Click on the thumbnails for larger views of each image.   The only challenge I had with the nightgown was finding a way to add the lace trim and hide the raw edge completely. I did French seams on the rest of it,  so no raw edges visible anywhere. It turned out really well, and I got to use up some of the lace my friend Tracy gave to me as well. Now if I can just find a buyer for the nightgown I’ll be happy!Read the rest…