I have a skirt here belonging to someone else that I was asked to take the waist in a bit. Its an elastic waist, so I figured I’d open the casing, take up a few inches of the elastic, and close it up again. Instead, I opened it up and I see this (at left). I’m not sure if you can see it or not, but instead of making a casing, the manufacture folded the fabric over the elastic, and then stitched the fabric edge down through the elastic. This makes it pretty much impossible for the elastic to twist, but it also means that I had to rip out the entire waistband before I could take up the extra length of the elastic, and then I need to either create a casing, or I need to put it back together again in the same manner.
The good thing is it took only a few minutes more to tear out all the stitching, and I got to watch another episode of House while I did it.
This evening I have some other sewing work coming by (this time some shirts) and I’m hoping these will be more straight forward to fix than the skirt waistband has turned out.