I went out to get Subway for dinner, so I stopped by Walmart on my way there and grabbed a zipper to dive in and finish Butterick 5350. When I got home, I stitched the zipper in, and hemmed the bottom. I was a little worried about the dress not zipping up, but there was no reason to be worried. It not only zips up, it actually fits really well. There was even an added bonus to the slightly adjustments I made to the fit of the bodice- I can literally get away without wearing a bra (no need to worry about bra straps showing) and still be supported enough unless I decide to go running, which is highly unlikely. Some of the changes I made from the original pattern are as follows. I ended up adding a small pleat to the lower edge of the bodice towards the outer side of the front. This was to take up some extra fabric that didn’t line up with the skirt. Considering I have no idea what size the skirt was originally cut as, I wasn’t surprised to see that there were some small issues with lining things up. I added aRead the rest…

About 4 years ago, I “attempted” to cut and sew this dress- Butterick 5350. I was doing View C, which has the sleeveless top with the deep v-neckline. I ended up making such a mess of the bodice pieces when I cut them, I literally could not sew it together. Nothing lined up, and not just by a little. I mean by 2+ inches. It was a disaster, and I ended up scrapping the bodice and making just the skirt, which was its own brand of messy. The waistband didn’t match up on either side of the zipper, and it was just bad. I can’t put my finger on why, but it was just ugly. Really, really ugly. If you want to know how ugly, you can do a search for this pattern in the archives and see the monstrosity that is the skirt. I blame part of its ugliness on poor fabric choices, but shoddy construction and that awful lining did not help. Yesterday I re-cut the bodice, this time choosing to do View B with the cap sleeves, and stitched the bodice save for adding the sleeves. Today I stitched together the sleeves, attached the skirt to theRead the rest…

About three years ago, I cut all of the pieces for Butterick’s 5350, and some time later sat down to start constructing it. What I discovered was that 1) I had gained so much weight there was no way this dress would fit, and 2) when I cut the pieces I can only imagine I was drunk (haha because I don’t really drink and haven’t been drunk in 4+ years) because nothing was cut correctly or evenly. I attempted to construct it just the same, hoping I could make adjustments as I went, but nothing was lining up, and short of re0cutting the entire dress, I threw it into a pile of unfinished projects with hopes of coming up for a plan for it later. The biggest problems were in the bodice. The skirt panels lined up pretty well, but from the waistband up, nothing matched up with the other side, and some parts were just plain wonky. Really wonky. The lining pieces didn’t match up with the outer shell at all in some places. Yesterday I took my seam ripper to it, and separated the bodice from the skirt, and also removed the skirt lining completely. After some fiddling,Read the rest…