dressformsThe dogs failed at telling me that UPS was here this morning (!?! they usually come at 7pm) and had dropped my new girl off at the side door. I checked the tracking on it on Amazon, and saw the note that she had been delivered in the morning. Sure enough, there she was there in her box, waiting for me just outside the door.

The new girl is much easier to adjust, and will work for a long time- her smallest measurements are about where I think I will be when I reach my goal weight, and right now with her let out almost all the way, she fits me fine. The bust needs to be a big bigger, but the waist and hips adjust perfectly. I also love the color of her! I should get plenty of use out of her just like I did the old girl.

I also spent a lot of time messing with Butterick 4087, and I think I found a solution. As I said in my earlier post, I tried crossing the straps, but that caused a gape in the front, which told me the straps needed to go straight down. I ended up adding a piece of fabric across the back connecting the two straps, and I think that will solve the problem. Tomorrow I will take photos in daylight so I can actually see how it really looks on a body. A dress form can help you a lot, but its not my final say in how something fits. Either way, this is not going to be a pretty apron. Its had too many issues and almost nothing has gone right. I just want the damned thing to be wearable.

The day before yesterday I spent my time in front of the TV with a seam ripper, tearing apart the abomination that was Butterick 4087. Yesterday I pulled out the pattern envelope, read the directions, and quickly saw why I made such a mess of it the first time. I could not make heads or tails out of half of the instructions. There seemed to be a lot of exposed raw edges, so I started with first added bias binding to the raw edges that would be exposed once it was stitched back together. After I stitched everything back up, referencing the pattern envelope frequently, I tried it on. I still need to top-stitch the bodice part to make it lay flat, but I honestly don’t think this will help solve the issue I was having with it before, besides it just looking ugly. The straps still refuse to stay up on my shoulders when I move about It looks great on my dress form, and probably looks good on me too, but I cannot get the straps to stay up. My next thing to try is to criss-cross the straps in the back if they are long enough. *sigh* I don’t know what else to do with this thing.

Okay, I’m coming back to add more to this. I crossed the straps, which seems to work, but still need to do the top stitching because right now its just ugly. Here it is as it stands right now. I’m honestly thinking this was just not meant to be.

apronback apronfront

Tonight after dinner I will do the top-stitching and maybe iron it too. This thing is driving me batty!

 

b4087I’m a little sad today because my ironing board did not come in the mail today. An ironing board did come, but not the one I ordered, nor was it one I can actually use. The board I received is one of those specialized ironing boards for dress shirt sleeves. Tomorrow I’ll be mailing it back to Amazon, and I am undecided if I want to wait for a replacement or not as the item I was supposed to get is out of stock for a few weeks. They did upgrade the shipping to one day, but I’m not sure I want to wait that long for it. :pouty:

Years ago, I attempted to sew Butterick 4087, which is a super cute apron pattern. I did the view with the shoulder ruffles, and it should have been pretty awesome. Instead what I had was an apron that I did a horrendous job of sewing, and that the straps would not stay up no matter what I did with them. The only solution I could find that would work was to tie it like a halter, but the straps are way too long for that and its bulky.

Today while watching TV, I grabbed it, which has been stuffed in a trash bag with other things since I made it, and my seam ripper, and ripped out all the seams connecting the bodice to the waistband, and the waistband to the skirt. I also completely ripped apart the waist ties. The inner and outer pieces of the bodice and the ruffles on the straps stayed intact as I actually did a good job stitching them, and I left the pockets on the skirt. I’m undecided in how I want to tear apart the upper straps yet, but sometime this week I’ll be working on piecing it all back together again.

I also did the cutting today for Simplicity 2365. I am using a cream and blue plaid shirting material that I picked up a few years ago for $2.99 a yard at Fabric.com. That makes this a $10 shirt more or less, counting the little bit I spent on the pattern. I may have to go buy buttons, not sure yet.

Anyway, tomorrow I will do some sewing, whether its on the shirt or on the poor apron. And Friday I will have my new dress form! Yay!