I’ve posted a few projects in the last few months that have had either lousy pics, or mentioned things without any pictures at all. This afternoon my new camera arrived, and I was able to get a few quick photos of some of the stuff you really did not get to see before, so here’s a quick photo dump. I’ll start with Simplicity 1612, View E, which was my prom party dress. I had posted photos from the party that the photographer took, but none of them really showcased my dress well. This dress turned out great except for some slightly wonkiness at the neckline, but that may have been caused by user error.   The back of this dress is fairly open, and ties at the neck. I had originally wanted to do the view with the twist back detail, but ended up falling in love with this one after seeing it sewn on another sewer’s blog.   One last shot. Look who needs to redo her nails! Whoops!   Here’s McCall’s 6173, View A. I’ve sewn these pants before but wanted one more pair of them because they are so freaking comfortable. I’m totally channeling my inner PegRead the rest…

A while back I posted View B of this pattern McCall 6173 (here), finding that while the pattern was easy enough to put together once I had the right fabric, they were more skinny pants than leggings. I had cut the pieces for View A shortly after, but only just got around to stitching them up today. While View B has an elastic waist, View A has a zipper and waistband. It also has several darts, front and back. The real question of course, is does it make leggings as shown on the envelope? Nope. Not even close. The fit around the waist, butt, and hips is comfortable and decent… for pants. I took an inch and a half from mid-thigh all the way down, and I still have skinny pants. I’d have to take a lot more of for leggings to appear out of this pattern, even though the zip-entry version is a better fit. I honestly can’t imagine how much modifying I’d have to do to make these into leggings- I cut these as a large according to my waist measurement, but I almost think I’d have to cut a medium and tweak from there to get aRead the rest…

I did a lot of sewing the last few days, but unfortunately, I can’t share the most exciting parts of it with you yet and that’s driving me crazy. I stitched up my prom dress for Joann’s party in November with only a few weeks to spare, plus I whipped up a really quick capelet using my leftover dress fabric, plus some other stuff in my stash to line it. I will show you the capelet though, as it doesn’t give away anything about my dress except color and fabric. I based the capelet off of McCall’s 5006, view G or H, but I only went as far as cutting out the fronts and back piece using the pattern and ignored the rest. I had a few small pieces of black velvet ribbon in my stash which I used for the ties, and I used some gold satin that I have no memory of buying from my stash to line it. Its one of those fabrics I want to use up to get rid of it, but can’t think of many applications where I’d actually want to wear it. I also made a small gold clutch, and am going toRead the rest…

Today I was still feeling great after whipping out V1235 without any major issues, and having it turn out so well, I decided to hunt through my fabric stash and my patterns and see what else I could make. I wanted to use another knit as I’m enjoying them and want to get a better feel for working with them, so first I looked to see how many large pieces of what knit fabrics I actually had. I have several yards of a white fabric with I think birds on it which I think might make a cute long sleeved shirt from a vintage Quik Sew pattern I have, and a lot of badly cut white and black leopard print with gold metallic highlights. There was about two yards of the leopard print one, but parts of it was cut out in chunks seemingly at random (yes I did that and no I don’t know why!). I found the pattern for M6489, which called for about 1 7/8th yards of fabric. I knew the only way I’d know if it would work was to cut the pieces and see if they fit, and amazingly they did. I laid out myRead the rest…

I’ve had it on my sewing bucket list to work with knits. I’ve got yards and yards of knit fabrics, and several patterns that are made for knits. But I’ve been terrified to try sewing them without a serger, and buying a serger isn’t something that’s likely to happen any time soon. I had asked around from different bloggers who have sewn quite a few knit projects, watch YouTube videos, read tutorials and tips. Then two days ago I said to hell with it and just jumped in. I chose McCall’s 6400 for my first knit pattern because its simple. The pattern for view B has two pieces- front, and back. I figured the less pieces there are, the less chances there will be for me to really muck things up. Cutting was easy enough though I did have to make an effort to not allow the fabric to stretch while I was cutting it, and sewing was simple too. I used a straight stitch and stretched the fabric as I sewed it. The only thing that I’m not completely happy with was the hemming. The fabric was a little slick and some of my hemming is a bit wonky,Read the rest…