I sewed these leggings twice today. Seriously. Twice. The first time I used a black rib knit which while I really liked, it was my least favorite of the fabrics I had purchased for this project. I’m glad I did because not only did they turn out horribly, but the fabric was all wrong- It had the right amount of stretch, but was much less stable than it needed to be, and as a result, well, I’m calling them the horror pants and thinking they might fast track into the garbage.
This was after I took them in by almost two inches everywhere- they are hugely baggy, and fit worse than sweatpants. They are definitely not leggings. I had cut an XL according to my waist measurement but apparently that was not the correct thing to do. I’m not even willing to wear these around the house as they are horrible! I feel like I should be shopping at Walmart while wearing them. Ugh!
I re-cut the pattern down to a L for the second try, and used a much more stable fabric. This time not only did they fit, but they are wearable, even outside of the house. Unfortunately, they still do not look like leggings, but instead look like skinny pants. I saw (after the fact) someone’s review on this pattern with suggestions for making them actually fit like leggings, and may adjust the fit down the legs a bit later on to follow my curves better. There’s a slight bagginess at the knee that just screams “Pants!” when wearing these, even when they otherwise fit.
As you can see, they fit. They aren’t totally embarrassing, and they don’t make me cringe. I can actually wear these and be comfortable. But they are still not leggings as is.